If you had boarded a flight from Nairobi to Goma in the Democratic Republic of Congo just as National Treasury Cabinet Secretary John Mbadi began reading his Budget Statement on Thursday, you would have landed before he finished. …
… In the latest situation report, dated June 7 and released on Tuesday night, the agency said laboratories in Bukavu and Lwiro in South Kivu province, and Goma in North Kivu, had run out of stock. …
Audio By VocalizeIrenge Biringanine Prince, leader of the U Report Goma community raises awareness at Alanine market as part of Ebola prevention and awareness measures in Goma, on May 29, 2026. …
… t if a patient becomes sick, every minute matters,” Oz said. “As a heart doctor, I want to take the patient to the operating room that’s right next door, not to a building nearby or a facility several blocks away.” According to wego.com The straight-line air distance between Goma …
… Further south, Congolese people trying to cross into Rwanda from the cities of Goma and Bukavu were being stopped at the border, Reuters reporters said. …
… There has also been a case in eastern DR Congo’s biggest city, Goma, which has a population of around 850,000 people and under the control of Rwandan-backed rebels. …
Audio By VocalizeA visitor has their temperature checked by a health worker using a thermoflash before entering Kyeshero Hospital at a checkpoint for temperature screening for all visitors and patients entering Kyeshero Hospital, in Goma on May 18, 2026. …
… The airport in North Kivu's provincial capital Goma, which once helped funnel urgently needed aid into the eastern DRC by air, has been shut since the M23 took the city in January 2025. …
Audio By VocalizeWorkers from Kanyaruchinya, in Nyiragongo territory, take part in sanitation, renovation, and leveling work at the former Ebola treatment center, in Goma on May 19, 2026. …
The International Contact Group for the Great Lakes region has called on the DRC to swiftly implement a disarmament protocol after an FDLR faction formally accepted and signed it on July 28. The ICG, chaired by France and including the US, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, the EU, Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK, urged Kinshasa to develop an operational plan and realistic timeline for the effective neutralisation of the FDLR.
The International Contact Group for the Great Lakes region has called on the DRC to swiftly implement a disarmament protocol after an FDLR faction formally accepted and signed it on July 28. The ICG, chaired by France and including the US, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, the EU, Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, Switzerland and the UK, urged Kinshasa to develop an operational plan and realistic timeline for the effective neutralisation of the FDLR.
The article argues that Western governments view the FDLR militia as one weakened armed group among many in eastern DRC, while Rwanda regards it as the surviving military and ideological heir to genocide forces and an existential national security threat rooted in its ideology, intentions, and access to recruitment networks.
Members of Kenya's Congolese community have called on the government to investigate alleged recruitment, mobilisation and fundraising activities by the Alliance Fleuve Congo/M23 movement in Nairobi, urging that Kenya's democratic freedoms not be exploited to fuel the conflict in eastern DRC.
United Nations experts have appealed for an end to the M23 armed group's "reign of terror" in the Democratic Republic of Congo, citing civilian reports of sexual torture and murder. The experts noted that UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres reported more than 90,000 cases of sexual violence related to armed conflict in DRC in 2025.
Seven American aid workers who had been in Congo fighting an Ebola outbreak are quarantining at a new isolation facility in Kenya after the U.S. government introduced travel restrictions requiring Americans returning from the Democratic Republic of Congo to spend three weeks in a third country before entering the United States.
Seven American aid workers who were in Congo fighting an Ebola outbreak are quarantining at a new isolation facility in Kenya after the U.S. introduced travel restrictions requiring American citizens returning from the Democratic Republic of Congo to spend three weeks in a third country before entering the United States.
Kenya will receive Sh1.9 billion from the United States to strengthen readiness against Ebola Virus Disease in 22 high-risk counties through new laboratories, trained personnel, and emergency response centres. The funding covers disease surveillance, laboratory systems, healthcare worker training, emergency response coordination, risk communication, and screening at points of entry.
A UN independent commission on human rights documented allegations of unlawful killings, sexual violence including sexual slavery, forced recruitment, and attacks on schools and health facilities in North and South Kivu provinces, amid a surge of unrest in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo where the army battles the Rwandan-backed M23 group.
Kenya's Principal Secretary for Foreign Affairs Korir Sing'oei has called on the Democratic Republic of Congo national football team to use their historic FIFA World Cup 2026 qualification as a unifying force for peace in the Eastern DRC, following the team's dramatic 3-1 comeback victory over Uzbekistan.
An opinion piece argues that Kinshasa is pursuing a military solution to the ongoing DRC conflict while the international community calls for dialogue, noting that while rebels have released prisoners and withdrawn from areas, Kinshasa has not fulfilled its corresponding commitments and continues military escalations around Rubaya and Minembwe highlands.
National Treasury Cabinet Secretary John Mbadi delivered a 201-page Budget Statement on Thursday that was notably lengthy—comparing the duration to international flights from Nairobi—yet provided limited substantive disclosure.
Three laboratories in the Democratic Republic of Congo have run out of supplies needed to test for Ebola, according to the WHO. The labs in Bukavu, Lwiro, and Goma are awaiting reagents to resume work on backlogged samples as the outbreak of the Bundibugyo species continues to grow.
A Norwegian aid group says Sudan, the Democratic Republic of Congo, and Colombia head the world's most neglected displacement crises, citing lack of humanitarian funding, media coverage, and international political will. Sudan has more than nine million internally displaced people, four million refugees in neighbouring countries, and 19.5 million facing hunger.
The United States has imposed sanctions on M23 intelligence chief John Nzenze and FDLR commander Gustave Kubwayo over alleged human rights abuses, including sexual violence and attacks on civilians in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. The US said the measures target individuals linked to instability in the region.
CMS Administrator Mehmet Oz says the US State Department is working with Kenya to secure medical support capabilities near the Democratic Republic of the Congo, where an Ebola Bundibugyo outbreak has confirmed 321 cases and 48 deaths.
Deaths from an Ebola outbreak in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo have risen to 131, with 543 suspected cases and 33 confirmed cases in DRC, plus two confirmed cases in Uganda. The WHO Director-General has declared the rare Bundibugyo strain outbreak a public health emergency of international concern, the first such declaration made before convening an emergency committee.
A WHO representative warned that Ebola cases in the Democratic Republic of Congo's Ituri province may be spreading faster than originally thought, with over 513 suspected cases as of Tuesday and 131 deaths. Modelling by the London-based MRC Centre for Global Infectious Disease Analysis suggested substantial under-detection and could not rule out more than 1,000 cases already occurring, while one death has been recorded in neighbouring Uganda.
The WHO is evaluating candidate vaccines and treatments for an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo, which the organization has declared an international health emergency. The outbreak, suspected to have killed 131 people and infected more than 500, involves the Bundibugyo strain, for which no vaccine or treatment currently exists.
The Ebola outbreak spreading in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo faces obstacles from long-running regional conflicts, including M23 militia control of territory and inter-ethnic violence between Lendu and Hema groups in Ituri province, where the outbreak's epicentre is located in Mongbwalu.
The US State Department advised Americans not to travel to the Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan, or Uganda due to an Ebola outbreak, issuing a "Level 4: Do Not Travel" advisory. The CDC also suspended some visa processing and said non-US passport holders who traveled to these countries in the last 21 days would be restricted from entering the US.
The World Health Organization declared an international health emergency over an Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo that has killed more than 80, with 88 deaths and 336 suspected cases reported so far. Fears of wider spread increased after a case was confirmed in the eastern city of Goma.
In eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, a drone attack in Mushaki, a farming area about 40 kilometres from Goma under M23 control, wounded at least 25 civilians including a two-year-old girl last week. The region has been plagued by violence for more than 30 years, with fighting intensifying in early 2025 when Rwanda-backed M23 fighters seized key cities including Goma and Bukavu.
DR Congo President Félix Tshisekedi said he may seek a third term when his mandate expires in 2028 if the people approve via referendum, contravening the two-term constitutional limit. He also indicated that elections may not be held on schedule due to ongoing conflict in the east.
The United States sanctioned former DR Congo President Joseph Kabila on Thursday, citing allegations that he assisted Rwandan-linked rebels who have seized parts of his country. The action follows a peace deal that President Trump announced in December after meeting both countries' leaders.
The United States imposed sanctions on Joseph Kabila, former president of the Democratic Republic of Congo, accusing him of providing financial and political support to Rwandan-linked rebels responsible for violence and instability in the region. The action follows a peace deal announced by President Trump in December.