… NPS spokesperson Muchiri Nyaga said the move was intended to guarantee a thorough, impartial and transparent investigation into the circumstances surrounding the incident."The National Police Service wishes to update the public on the ongoing investigation into the death of Erick …
Armed goons attack Linda Mwananchi political convoy in Kisii
5
·Citizen Digital
… In a statement dated July 4, NPS Director of Corporate Communication Muchiri Nyaga said the incident occurred on Friday, July 3, and that officers drawn from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI), Kisii Central, and Keumbu Police Station moved swiftly to effect the arr …
… from Keumbu Police Station, moved swiftly after the incident and arrested three suspects who are currently in custody. “A more detailed analysis of the video, alongside wider investigative efforts, is underway with a view to making further arrests,”NPS Spokesperson Muchiri Nyaga …
… The NPS, however, maintained that it has no role in such incidents. “The NPS does not abduct people,” Police Spokesperson Muchiri Nyaga said, adding that its constitutional mandate is limited to maintaining law and order, preventing and detecting crime, protecting life and proper …
… The National Police Service (NPS) has dismissed allegations linking its officers to the abduction of protesters and other individuals, terming the claims “false, misleading, and unsupported by any credible evidence.” In a statement issued on Friday, NPS Spokesperson Muchiri Nyaga …
… In a statement, police spokesperson Muchiri Nyaga said the service had taken allegations of enforced disappearances and torture seriously and urged anyone with credible information to report such cases. …
… The National Police Service (NPS), which had earlier confirmed receiving a missing person's report lodged at Central Police Station, said it was investigating the matter.Police spokesperson Muchiri Nyaga said the Service takes allegations of enforced disappearances and torture se …
… We therefore urge anyone with information or specific allegations of enforced disappearance, torture, or other human rights violations to report the matter immediately at the nearest police station,” said police spokesperson Muchiri Nyaga.
The National Police Service has ordered Kassim Abdi Sebu to surrender to the Directorate of Criminal Investigations Homa Bay County headquarters over his alleged association with violence that erupted in the county during the Linda Mwananchi tour on August 16, 2026.
The National Police Service has ordered Kassim Abdi Sebu to surrender to the Directorate of Criminal Investigations Homa Bay County headquarters over his alleged association with violence that erupted in the county during the Linda Mwananchi tour on August 16, 2026.
The National Police Service has cautioned newly trained officers against posting crime-scene images, operational information, and other sensitive material on social media, emphasizing that officers' online conduct affects public confidence in the police.
Police are calling for Kassim Abdi Sebu and Oliver Jaoko to surrender to the Directorate of Criminal Investigations over their alleged roles in chaos witnessed in Homa Bay county over the weekend. Fifteen suspects arrested with crude weapons on Saturday have been produced in court and remanded for four days, while detectives pursue 25 suspects connected to the violence.
Police arrested 37 suspected gang members in connection with violence at a Linda Mwananchi political rally in Homa Bay on Sunday, during which a police officer died, several officers and civilians were injured, and vehicles were damaged. One suspect remains at large.
Police arrested 37 suspects in connection with chaos during and after a Linda Mwanachi rally in Homa Bay county on August 16, 2026, which resulted in one police officer's death, injuries to eight officers and several journalists, and damage to police and civilian vehicles. Crude weapons including machetes and knives were recovered, and authorities are continuing to pursue Oliver Jaoko and others involved in the violence.
The National Cohesion and Integration Commission (NCIC) has summoned Homa Bay town MP Peter Kaluma over utterances made in Luo ahead of the Linda Mwananchi rally on August 16, 2026, which the commission says were likely to cause tension. The MP is required to appear on August 18; the aftermath of the rally saw the killing of two people including a police officer.
The National Police Service has warned politicians, rally organisers and others against incitement, provocation and conduct likely to undermine peace and public order as political tensions rise in parts of the country. The warning follows the arrest of 15 suspects on the Kisumu-Kericho Road on August 15, who were found with crude weapons and allegedly hired to disrupt political activities.
The National Police Service has warned politicians and event organisers against incitement and conduct likely to breach peace as political activities intensify ahead of the 2027 General Election. The warning follows an intelligence-led operation on August 15 in which police arrested 15 suspects allegedly found in possession of crude weapons and suspected of being hired to disrupt political activities.
Kenya risks another cycle of election-related violence if the growing trend of political goonism is not confronted early, stakeholders warned at a National multi-stakeholder forum. Human rights organisations, police oversight agencies, and researchers called for urgent action to identify and hold the financiers, organisers and mobilisers of organised groups behind the violence to account ahead of the 2027 General Election.
Civil society organisations have raised alarm over the emergence of political gangs in Kenya ahead of the 2027 General Election, citing recent violence as a sign of organised efforts to mobilise political gangs during the election period. The International Commission of Jurists-Kenya convened stakeholders to address the issue, with the ICJ Chairperson warning that observed patterns bear similarities to challenges from previous election periods.
Communication strategist Odhiambo Otieno has criticised the Independent Policing Oversight Authority (IPOA) for remaining silent following the death of 19-year-old boda boda rider Eric Otieno shortly after his release from Muthaiga Police Station. He warned that IPOA's silence on the matter encourages impunity within the police service and questioned why CCTV footage from the station had not been made public.
Eric Otieno, a boda boda operator, died after being arrested and detained at Muthaiga Police Station; an autopsy found he died from multiple abdominal injuries consistent with blunt force trauma. His family is demanding the arrest of officers allegedly involved and has called on the Independent Policing Oversight Authority to investigate what they describe as police brutality.
Eric Otieno, a Mathare boda boda rider, died at Mama Margaret Uhuru Hospital after allegedly sustaining severe injuries while in police custody at Muthaiga Police Station. The Independent Policing Oversight Authority has now assumed full responsibility for investigating the circumstances of his death, with the National Police Service pledging full cooperation.
One person died following a violent confrontation between two groups at ACK Cathedral in Kisumu on Sunday, with nine motorcycles torched and a police vehicle damaged. Police arrested eight suspects, with efforts ongoing to apprehend others involved.
The National Police Service has arrested three suspects in connection with a video showing an attack on a convoy of motor vehicles along the Kisii-Keroka road targeting a political group on July 3. Detectives are conducting further analysis of the video and pursuing additional leads, with the NPS condemning the attack and stating that those responsible will be rigorously pursued through the criminal justice system.
Police have arrested three suspects in connection with a violent attack on a Linda Mwananchi political convoy along the Kisii–Keroka Road on July 3, in which suspected rival youths blocked the road and pelted vehicles with stones, injuring supporters and damaging vehicles. Investigations are ongoing with a view to making further arrests.
The National Police Service has denied allegations that its officers are involved in reported abductions and enforced disappearances, insisting that all arrests are conducted within the law and recorded in official procedures. The denial comes as unidentified men in civilian clothing and unmarked vehicles have allegedly been seen bundling individuals into vehicles in recent incidents circulated on social media and reported by rights groups.
The National Police Service has dismissed allegations that its officers abduct protesters and others, calling the claims "false, misleading, and unsupported by any credible evidence." NPS Spokesperson Muchiri Nyaga said the service conducts all arrests strictly within the Constitution and the law, with every arrest recorded in the Occurrence Book and suspects presented before court within prescribed timelines.
Human rights organisations have expressed alarm over what they describe as the return of enforced disappearances and abductions in Kenya after activist Davis Lichuma was found alive days after going missing. Lichuma was found at Kenyatta National Hospital and transferred to Nairobi Women's Hospital for treatment after allegedly being tortured and abandoned, prompting renewed calls for an independent investigation into his alleged unlawful detention.
Mathare activist Davis Lichuma was discovered in critical condition on Sunday night after missing for more than three days, bearing visible signs of torture. He and six other activists were reportedly picked up near Parliament on June 25 by people alleged to be police officers; the Social Justice Centres Working Group has demanded an independent investigation into his disappearance and prosecution of those responsible.
Police have acknowledged receiving a missing person report for Mathare activist Davis Lichuma, who disappeared on June 25, 2026, during commemorations of the Gen Z protests. Activists have issued a 24-hour ultimatum to the government to produce him or face street demonstrations on Tuesday.
Activist Davis Lichuma has gone missing after recent protests near Parliament, while five other protesters arrested during the same June 25 demonstrations were found with torture injuries; police say they are investigating the disappearance and allegations of enforced disappearances and torture.
The National Police Service has launched an internal investigation into a viral video showing the alleged inappropriate handling of a protester living with disability during a June 25 Gen Z anniversary protest in Nakuru. The NPS condemned unprofessional conduct and excessive force, stating it remains committed to upholding professionalism and respect for human rights.
Inspector General Douglas Kanja has ordered an urgent internal investigation into police officers' conduct after video emerged of officers violently manhandling a person with a disability during June 25 Gen Z anniversary protests in Nakuru. The National Police Service condemned the officers' actions as unprofessional and a violation of Standard Operating Procedures.
Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen said police are prepared to provide security for demonstrators expected to participate in Thursday's June 25 anniversary protests, and that the government respects the constitutional right to peacefully assemble while warning that police would deal firmly with criminals seeking to infiltrate the demonstrations.
Interior Cabinet Secretary Kipchumba Murkomen said police are prepared to provide security for demonstrators expected to participate in Thursday's June 25 anniversary protests, stating the government respects citizens' constitutional right to peacefully assemble while warning police would deal firmly with criminals.
Police have not received formal notification for a planned commemoration of the June 25, 2024 anti-Finance Bill protests scheduled for Thursday in Nairobi, and warn that criminal elements will be dealt with firmly. The Nairobi Regional Commander said law enforcement agencies are not aware of any planned gathering and noted that organizers are required to issue notice at least three days in advance to the nearest police station.
Police say they have not received formal notification for a planned commemoration of the June 25, 2024 anti-Finance Bill protests scheduled for Thursday in Nairobi, and warned that any criminal elements will be dealt with firmly. The Nairobi Regional Commander noted that law requires notice at least three days in advance to the nearest police station.
Police have launched a manhunt for Kuresoi North MP Alfred Mutai following a violent confrontation between his supporters and those of Nakuru Governor Susan Kihika at a youth empowerment meeting in Kuresoi Sub-County that left three people with gunshot injuries. The clash also saw a bus set ablaze by unknown persons.
The National Police Service arrested three suspects—Bernard Ouma, Thomas Onyango, and Walter Owa—over a violent attack at Chemilil Academy in Muhoroni Sub-County on June 18 that left several people injured. Police say a group of suspected goons armed with crude weapons stormed the institution and assaulted individuals, and investigations are ongoing to identify other participants.