Panel of Experts on Compensation of Victims of Human Rights Violations
Government-backed panel that disburses compensation to verified victims of human rights violations from demonstrations and protests; chaired by Makau Mutua as of June 2026.
… The Panel of Experts on Compensation of Victims of Human Rights Violations approved seven claims involving severe injuries, 37 for moderate injuries and five for minor injuries, according to an update issued Friday, August 7. …
… w on Twitter Audio By Vocalize Families in Nakuru who lost their loved ones during the June 2024 Gen Z protests say they are yet to receive the Ksh.3 million compensation promised by the government through the Panel of Experts on Compensation of Victims of Human Rights Violations …
… The victims have accused the Professor Makau Mutua-led Panel of Experts on Compensation of Victims of Human Rights Violations of introducing what they describe as an unlawful "authentication process" that risks locking out victims whose claims had already been verified by the Ken …
… REUTERS/Monicah Mwangi Audio By Vocalize The Panel of Experts on Compensation of Victims of Human Rights Violations says it has disbursed more than Ksh.674 million to 505 victims as it scales up efforts to compensate those affected by demonstrations and public protests. …
… In a statement, the Panel of Experts on Compensation of Victims of Human Rights Violations said the second phase comprises 157 victims; 100 injury cases and 57 fatalities resulting from public protests across the country. …
… The party also urged families and victims of alleged human rights violations dating back to 2005 to submit claims to the Panel of Experts on Compensation of Victims of Human Rights Violations. …
… The party further called on victims of past human rights violations and their families to submit claims to the Panel of Experts on Compensation of Victims of Human Rights Violations, which is currently running a reparations programme. …
… In a statement released on Tuesday, Prof Makau Mutua, Chairperson of the Panel of Experts on Compensation of Victims of Human Rights Violations, revealed that 348 verified victims are set to receive a collective total of Sh448.7 million during the first phase of the rollout. …
A reparations panel has approved compensation for 49 police officers for human rights violations sustained during protests between June 17 and July 7, 2025, awarding them Sh25.75 million. The payments follow IPOA's recording of 65 deaths and 342 civilian injuries during the same period.
A reparations panel has approved compensation for 49 police officers for human rights violations sustained during protests between June 17 and July 7, 2025, awarding them Sh25.75 million. The payments follow IPOA's recording of 65 deaths and 342 civilian injuries during the same period.
Activists have filed a High Court petition challenging the exclusion of victims of enforced disappearance from the government's compensation programme for human rights violations victims. The High Court certified the petition as urgent, with a hearing scheduled before Justice Gregory Mutai.
Victims and survivors of state violence have filed a court challenge against the Panel of Experts on Compensation, accusing it of unlawfully excluding victims of enforced disappearance and torture through a new "authentication process" that may reject claims already verified by the Kenya National Commission on Human Rights.
The Panel of Experts on Compensation of Victims of Human Rights Violations has disbursed more than Ksh.674 million to 505 verified beneficiaries affected by demonstrations and public protests. In the second phase, 157 claims were processed—57 fatalities at Ksh.3 million each, 19 severe injuries at Ksh.1 million, 57 moderate injuries at Ksh.500,000, 18 minor injuries, and six aggravated sexual offence cases—totaling Ksh.225.4 million.
The government has cleared Sh225.4 million for the second phase of compensation to protest victims, covering 157 victims comprising 100 injury cases and 57 fatalities from public protests across the country. Families of deceased victims will each receive Sh3 million, while injury compensation ranges from Sh50,000 to Sh1 million depending on severity.
The Orange Democratic Movement has praised Kenyans for conducting peaceful June 25 anniversary commemorations, saying demonstrators' restraint reflected the country's democratic maturity. The party called on security agencies to continue exercising restraint in future demonstrations.
The Orange Democratic Movement has attributed the peaceful conduct during June 25 Gen Z anniversary commemorations to a call for peace issued by party leader Dr. Oburu Oginga on June 24, urging both protesters and police to uphold the law. ODM lauded its members and supporters for exercising restraint and demonstrating commitment to the rule of law.
Maurice and Alice Shiramba, parents of 34-year-old Caroline Shiramba who was killed by a stray bullet during the 2024 youth-led protests in Kakamega town, are urging President William Ruto to fast-track state compensation for families who lost loved ones in the deadly demonstrations.
The government has commenced compensation for victims of human rights violations from demonstrations and public protests between 2013 and 2025, with 348 verified victims set to receive a total of Ksh448.7 million in the first phase. The Panel of Experts on Compensation of Victims of Human Rights Violations said compensation is being issued only to victims who have consented to the process.
The government has begun compensating victims of human rights violations from demonstrations and protests between 2013 and 2025, with 348 verified victims set to receive Ksh448.7 million in the first phase of the programme.
A government-backed panel chaired by Makau Mutua has begun disbursing compensation to verified victims of human rights violations linked to protests between 2013 and 2025, with an initial payout of Sh448.7 million as the first phase of a Sh2 billion reparations framework. The Kenya National Commission on Human Rights verified 1,101 cases of alleged violations including extra-judicial killings, torture, abductions, sexual violence and destruction of property.
The government has begun compensating 348 verified victims of protest-related human rights violations with Sh448.7 million in the first phase, covering violations from 2013 to 2025. Payments include Sh3 million for families of those killed during demonstrations, Sh1 million for victims of severe injuries or sexual offences, and smaller amounts for moderate and minor injuries.
The Kenya National Commission on Human Rights clarified that victims of looting, vandalism, and other ordinary criminal acts during protests will not qualify for compensation under the government's Sh2 billion reparations programme, which is limited to gross human rights violations allegedly linked to state actions. Such cases should instead be handled through the ordinary criminal justice system.