Kenya Minute.
Wednesday, 19 August 2026
Kenya’s news, on the hour · Est. 2026
Wednesday, 19 August 2026
Nairobi—:—London—:—New York—:—Beijing—:—
Kenyan press · Person

Mattias Grafstrom

Also known as: FIFA secretary-general Mattias Grafstrom

FIFA Secretary-General who distanced himself from Infantino's World Cup privatization plan in August 2026.

2026-05-172026-08-19

In coverage

Verbatim sentences from the source article.

  1. August 2026
  2. Citizen Digital

    "Individuals, unstable moments and unfortunate episodes come and go," FIFA secretary general Mattias Grafstrom said in an email he sent to staff.

    Beleaguered FIFA chief Infantino rids himself of critic Lamour
  3. Citizen Digital

    The institution, its mission and its responsibility towards world football continue." FIFA Secretary-General Mattias Grafstrom's message to staff in a bid to rebuild morale.

    Infantino and the failed investment plan - What they said
  4. Citizen Digital

    UEFA dismissed this show of support, which included FIFA secretary-general Mattias Grafstrom, whose leaked email to staff on Tuesday had criticised the plan.

    UEFA says boycott of World Cups stands despite FIFA backdown on private investment
  5. Citizen Digital

    "In a separate letter to the FIFA Council and FIFA Member Associations, an apology was made for these errors together with a commitment to ensure they do not happen again." -'Off the table'- One of those believed to be at the meeting was FIFA's secretary-general Mattias Grafstrom

    FIFA back Infantino, apologise for World Cup privatisation plan
  6. The Standard

    s leaked to media."In a separate letter to the FIFA Council and FIFA Member Associations, an apology was made for these errors together with a commitment to ensure they do not happen again." One of those believed to be at the meeting was FIFA's secretary-general Mattias Grafstrom

    FIFA back Infantino, apologise for World Cup privatisation plan
  7. The Standard

    He watched the group match with FIFA secretary general Mattias Grafstrom and Confederation of African Football (CAF) first vice-president Fouzi Lekjaa, a Moroccan.

    Embattled Infantino sees minnows Malawi reach WAFCON quarter-finals
  8. Citizen Digital

    One of those believed to be at the meeting is FIFA's secretary-general Mattias Grafstrom, whose internal email to staff criticising the plan was leaked on Tuesday.

    Embattled FIFA chief Infantino holds emergency talks with directors
  9. The Standard

    His remarks followed hot on the heels of an extraordinary internal email to FIFA staff, seen by AFP, in which secretary-general Mattias Grafstrom appeared to distance himself from Infantino on the issue.Previously seen as close to Infantino, Grafstrom describes the fiasco surroun

    Infantino's problems mount as Wenger and key FIFA ally turn on him
  10. The Standard

    who would do that -– the man who would try to force through such major changes just to enrich himself and his friends -– is a relic of the game's past and should have no part in its future." One of those believed to be at the meeting is FIFA's secretary-general Mattias Grafstrom

    Embattled FIFA chief Infantino in emergency talks, suffers Figo blow
  11. May 2026
  12. Citizen Digital

    Audio By Vocalize FIFA Secretary General Mattias Grafstrom described as "excellent" and "constructive" the meeting held on Saturday in Istanbul with the Iranian federation to ensure Iran's participation in the 2026 World Cup in the United States, Canada and Mexico.

    Iran have 'constructive' meeting with FIFA over World Cup preparations

Yesterday

  1. FIFA chief Infantino parts with critic Lamour

    FIFA President Gianni Infantino's chief operating officer Kevin Lamour has departed after breaking ranks with senior FIFA directors and criticizing Infantino's plan to bring private investment into FIFA competitions, including World Cups. Lamour had refused to sign off on the deal and described it as "the project of one person."

    17 hours ago · Citizen Digital

Friday 7 August

  1. FIFA president Infantino shelves World Cup private investment plan

    FIFA president Gianni Infantino abandoned his controversial plan to allow private investment in the World Cup, described as a "humiliating climbdown." Though he received support from senior directors and a confederation this week, his position remains precarious ahead of his potential re-election for a fourth and final term next March.

    7 August 2026 · Citizen Digital

Thursday 6 August

  1. UEFA maintains World Cup boycott despite FIFA shelving private investment plan

    UEFA said Thursday it would continue its boycott of FIFA men's and women's World Cups despite FIFA withdrawing its plan to open competitions to private investment. UEFA cited that a second condition for withdrawing its boycott threat has not been met.

    6 August 2026 · Citizen Digital

  2. FIFA backs Infantino despite World Cup privatisation controversy

    FIFA President Gianni Infantino has received "full support" from senior directors following a crisis meeting in Morocco, though the organisation apologised for errors made in handling a now-shelved plan to open the World Cup to private investment, which had faced widespread criticism.

    6 August 2026 · Citizen Digital

  3. FIFA backs Infantino, apologises for World Cup privatisation plan

    FIFA's leadership has given "full support" to president Gianni Infantino following his decision to shelve a controversial plan to open the World Cup to private investment, while acknowledging "errors" were made in how the proposal was handled after it was leaked to media.

    6 August 2026 · The Standard

  4. Malawi reaches WAFCON quarter-finals despite losing to Zambia

    Malawi, the lowest-ranked of 16 tournament qualifiers, advanced to the Women's Africa Cup of Nations quarter-finals after losing 2-1 to Zambia in Rabat on Wednesday, finishing first in Group C alongside Nigeria and Zambia on six points. Nigeria also qualified by defeating Egypt 6-2, and the two will face Ghana or Mali and Cameroon respectively in the quarter-finals.

    6 August 2026 · The Standard

Wednesday 5 August

  1. FIFA chief Infantino holds emergency talks with directors

    FIFA President Gianni Infantino held emergency talks with other FIFA directors in Morocco on August 5, 2026, amid criticism over his shelved plan to open the World Cup to private investment, with calls for his resignation growing since he abandoned the proposal.

    5 August 2026 · Citizen Digital

  2. Infantino faces pressure from FIFA allies over abandoned World Cup plan

    FIFA president Gianni Infantino came under fire from within the governing body and externally over his since-abandoned proposal to open the World Cup to private investment. Former Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger, appointed by Infantino as FIFA's chief of global football development, said the withdrawal of the project was "absolutely necessary," while FIFA secretary-general Mattias Grafstrom distanced himself from Infantino in an internal email, describing the plan as "a sad and reproachable series of events."

    5 August 2026 · The Standard

  3. FIFA chief Infantino in emergency talks over World Cup investment plan

    FIFA President Gianni Infantino held emergency talks with FIFA directors in Morocco on Wednesday as pressure mounts over his now-shelved plan to open the World Cup to private investment. Former Barcelona and Real Madrid star Luis Figo publicly called for Infantino to step down, writing in the Daily Mail that he represents "the lowest, most deceitful and cravenly self-interested behaviour" in football.

    5 August 2026 · The Standard

Sunday 17 May

  1. FIFA and Iran hold constructive meeting on 2026 World Cup participation

    FIFA Secretary General Mattias Grafstrom described a meeting held on Saturday in Istanbul with the Iranian federation as "excellent" and "constructive," focusing on ensuring Iran's participation in the 2026 World Cup in the United States, Canada and Mexico. Iran is scheduled to play all three group matches in the US despite the war in the Middle East.

    17 May 2026 · Citizen Digital

Mattias Grafstrom — Kenyan press coverage · Kenya Minute